Wednesday, July 11, 2012

What has daddy learned?

I'm sitting at the dining room table just a-typing away with the baby monitor not far from my reach. It's different for sure, but man is it worth it! Mommy is out having lunch with a friend, so I get the nod to take care of Annalise. I figured while I was doing so that I'd update our blog and give just a few things I've learned in the 4 weeks of being a dad. Now please note, just because I know or have learned some things doesn't mean I in any way know what I'm doing! 1. Night feeding isn't that bad: I've actually gotten quite accustomed to having to get up in the middle of the night and feed the little lady. I have really enjoyed being able to do this because although nothing is said (I'm not really awake at these feedings either), I feel like Annalise and I have bonded some during these times. I will say however that the 1:30-2 AM feeding is pretty darn tough! Once I get past that one I know the sun will be up soon enough and then I function pretty well. 2. No time is out of the question to go to the store to get something: I was the happiest guy in Ellis county the other night at 11:30 because I knew the gas drops I was about to go buy we're going to get Annalise to stop crying and allow mom and I to get some sleep. 3. When tired you'll do some crazy stuff: I have now successfully turned off the baby monitor during a nap and in he middle of the night without my knowledge. Christen and I were convinced the product was defective because surely I wasn't skilled enough to keep doing it and not remember! 4. It just keeps on getting better: I was more than content on day 1 with Annalise, but it seems that every passing day brings me more joy. I think for first time parents it has a lot to do with being more comfortable with what your life is now like as opposed to what it used to be. 5. My admiration for my wife has gone to heaven and back: I thought I knew how special moms were. I mean my mom is one extra special person in my life, but watching Christen with our daughter takes it to a whole new level. I am not ashamed to say that I am more in love with Christen now than ever before. Seeing how she is with Annalise makes her more attractive in my eyes. OK I'll stop there. 6. Annalise is a huge responsibility: In church a few weeks ago we focused on stewardship and what that means. I believe that all that we have has been given to us by God, but taking it further that it still belongs to God. You see everyone can agree that when we die we will take nothing with us. This includes Annalise. While she is under my care I am to point her to Jesus because as one of God's children that is what He would want me to do with her. Therefore, treating her as a "rental" I should treat her better than I treat myself. 7. I know NOTHING: This I have found is the best approach to parenting. When in moments of crisis and I am trying to figure out the most complicated answer to the most complicated problem that is Annalise, the best thing to do is play dumb! The one thing that I've found that I do need to know how to do...get on my knees. Hope y'all have enjoyed reading and were sorry about the delay in postings. I think you'll understand that the Arroyave household is a bit of a mad house rig now.

2 comments:

  1. Tear.. Mario that was sweet!! Scott mentioned to me that I didn't mention him in my last blog but you just proved Daddy can type too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an awesome post Mario. It really doesn't stop. It's crazy how you fall in love with them more everyday. Congrats again to you both!

    ReplyDelete